Sleuth for a SENCO
Using Sleuth to track behaviour provides each and every member of staff with the information they need to fulfill the pastoral responsibilities of their role. The ability to record in detail allows you to analyse and report in detail which provides an opportunity to understand the underlying causes of behaviour and focus on finding solutions.
Whatever your role in school you can use Sleuth to search for and interrogate recorded data then use the results to develop strategies for intervention. Using Sleuth regularly throughout the school day lets you stay on top of behaviour and communicates progress and concerns to colleagues that will support them in their roles.
Tasks where Sleuth supports the role of the SENCO include:
- Listing the students on a SENCO caseload to assist in managing the Learning Support Unit/Centre (LSU/LSC) on a daily basis - reports show students giving cause for concern, students in LSU, students on SEN register
- Monitoring, recording and analysing the behaviour and progress of students on the SEN register or in the LSU/LSC
- Evaluating and monitoring current policy in relation to supporting students and reviewing provision for those with SEN
- Providing data for liaising with external agencies, curriculum managers, student achievement managers and other professionals who work with SEN students
- Identifying curriculum areas or teaching styles that are a problem for SEN students
- Highlighting opportunities for staff development relating to student support
- Providing data for liaising with parents/carers of SEN students to keep them informed about their child’s progress
Some MySearch/MyReport suggestions that would be useful for a SENCO in supporting SEN appear below.
Example MyReports from Sleuth for SENCOs
LSU Weekly Caseload Summary
This report provides a quick weekly overview of the behaviour of a caseload of students. Column-headings can be chosen for the report so, based on its use and audience, it can be used for meetings and the trigger for more detailed investigation
Incidents by Date for an Individual Student
This report can be used to show behaviour trends over the short, medium and long-term. Sleuth enables SENCOs to easily profile student behaviour to show clearly whether behaviour is improving or deteriorating
Student Count by Behaviour for an Individual Student
This Sleuth report gives the occurences of certain behaviours experienced by staff working with an individual student. Behaviours can be addressed individually, or related behaviours grouped, and using the detail from profiling the student, interventions can be put in place
Summary Incident Listing for an Individual Student
This Sleuth Incident Summary report displays a (summarised) chronological history of an individualís behaviour over a specified period. This is often used to support home-school communication and for supporting statement applications
Incidents by Subject for an Individual Student
A breakdown of particular behaviour types by subject for an individual allows a SENCO to investigate why a student may be struggling in some areas and not others. This can support decisions to move the student into a different ability group or offer a mentoring programme.
Example MySearch for a SENCO
- My Outstanding Referrals - shows all outstanding issues requiring attention. Clicking this search will allow you to follow up each referral, for example by adding an action of your own
- Concern Group - Today's Incidents - all today's incidents for students in the SEN Concern group, students in the early stages of statementing
- Case Load - This Weeks Incidents - all this weeks incidents for students currently under SENCO supervision/on my caseload
- Statements - This Weeks Incidents - all this weeks incidents for all student on the SEN register
MySearch - Using Sleuth you can search for just the behaviour data you are interested in by selecting any of the detailed incident search criteria (e.g. for a particular year group, student gender, behaviour type, date or period). When you run a search Sleuth display the list of incidents/students that meet your criteria so you can view/update each individually. A search that you may want to run frequently can be saved, this is called a MySearch. Once saved it can be run from your Sleuth Home Page in a single step (e.g. click of the mouse).
MyReport - A MyReport in Sleuth is a report where you define the search criteria, how to order/breakdown the results (e.g. by year group, subject, date) and also the style of presentation to use to display the results of the search, (e.g. text, bar chart, line graph).